Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Hobby update for Chaos Daemons

 In addition to my orks, I also have full Blood Angel and Grey Knight armies.  I started an Imperial Guard allied contingent, but have never used it.  I'm not sure when I'll pick it up again.  I just don't have a lot of interest in playing it.  My latest project is a Slaanesh Daemon army.


The list I'm targeting is
1850
350 Be'Lakor
90 Herald, steed, loci of grace, greater
90 Herald, steed, loci of Beguilement
105 Herald, loci of Beguilement, exalted
55 Herald, lesser

250 18 seekers, heartseeker

195 20 Daemonettes, alluress w/lesser
185 20 Daemonettes, alluress
90 10 Daemonettes
90 10 Daemonettes

170 Soul Grinder, MoS, Baleful Torrent
180 Soul Grinder, MoS, Phlegm

Of course this will need some play testing and refining.  I can't decide between using 2 squads of seekers at 20 strong each or more daemonettes.  So far I have Be'lakor and 30 daemonettes painted.


I'm really proud of my Be'Lakor.  He's such a beast.  He can cast shrouding on one of the Soul Grinders then flank them by the daemonette.

He can buff the seekers with invisibility and manage to keep up with them. Since he has shrouded, I may not even need to put him into swoop mode.  If he jinks he has a 2+ cover.

I primed black, drybrushed with slaanesh grey, then a wash of druchii violet.  I highlighted the skin a couple of times and picked out his icon with white.  The armor plates are sycorax bronze which looks really nice with the purple.

My only problem is that he's much smaller than I expected.  That's great for hiding him, but not as impressive on the table.  When I saw the initial model from GW, I was expecting something more akin to the FW greater daemons.

I'm undecided on bases for all of my models.  I like the idea of using ruined eldar temples, but haven't spend the money on any resin bases yet,



I've finished 30 daemonettes.  It took me about 6 test models before I came to a process & color scheme I like.  I have another 50 I want to complete.  Each squad of 10 has a psuedo alluress and 1 model with a magnetized arm for a banner or instrument.

The skin is a Violet wash then Slaanesh & light grey drybrush. Xereus on the hair with reddish highlights and a crimson wash.  The claws are a crimson wash then a light violet wash.  Dark grey on the armor then using secret weapon armor wash, picking out some highlights with a lighter grey and bronze.  The horns/toes are Celestra Grey and eyes are Temple guard blue.

They look good in person.  I'm trying my best not to repeat the body/claws/head combo.  I'm sure I'll duplicate at some point, but so far so good.

This is only 2 of the heralds I have.  Another 2 I didn't take a picture of.  Each of them have different heads and claw combos.  Mostly the same process as the daemonettes, but I spent more time on the gems and the cloak is purple with red on the inside.  I wish there were more options for poses.

I have 2 soul grinders.  One of them is primed and ready to start painting.  The other is on my desk now awaiting cleanup and assembly.  I have not figured out how I want to paint those yet, so I keep painting daemonettes until I make a decision.

I have 5 seekers so far, with 10 more ordered that I'll pick up this week.  I'll buy another 5.  I think I'll make 2 of them into heralds.  I'd prefer to use the seekers from the exalted chariot, but don't want to buy the kit. I have the riders for the first 5 painted, but haven't figured out how to paint the seekers yet.

I have one daemon prince primed, but I'm not sure if I want to use him in my latest lists and he keeps getting pushed out further.  Also, I don't really like the model.

Eventually, I'd like to fill out with more seekers and another daemon prince.  I'm holding off on a keeper of secrets until creature caster is selling their pincer or spider daemons.

Eventually, I'd like some fiends, but they're not terribly good and I don't like the models.  The finecast is terribly expensive for what it is.  I haven't found alternate models I like yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment