Thursday, July 24, 2014

Dakka in multiple CADs

Most of the tournaments I've seen look like they're allowing 2 detachments.  That would be 1 primary and another ally/formation/detachment.  With that in mind, it's time to start thinking about 2 detachments for orks so I can go max dakka again.


1850 - 2 CADs with max heavy support
1077pts CAD 
125 warboss, bike, klaw, Da finkin kap, BP
202 8 Warbikers, 1 Nob w/PK & BP
165 20 choppa boyz (1 rokkit) w/Nob bp & pk
165 20 choppa boyz (1 rokkit) w/Nob bp & pk
140 10 Lootas
140 10 Lootas
140 10 Lootas

773pts CAD 2
75 Painboy, bike
170 20 choppa boyz (2 rokkits) w/Nob bp & pk
46 12 grots w/runtherd and hound
111 5 Lobbas, 3 gretchin, 4 runts
147 4 Traktor Kannons, 5 gretchin 4 runts
174 5 Kustom Mega Kannons, 3gretchin 5 runts
50 Aegis


Once again, I'm doubling up on Strategic traits hoping for master of ambush.  If I can get first turn with infiltrate and this much dakka backing me up then I feel like I can take on most anything (except knights).

Why 30 lootas, not 45?  I don't have 45 lootas.  I only have 30 painted and another 7 primed.  I feel like I could use the 210 points as a whole other other rather than taking each squad from 10 to 15.

I love the traktor kannons because it's inevitable you'll see fliers at 1850 and they are unquestionably the best option in the codex. Str8, ap3 against ground targets isn't ideal.  I could be convinced to drop to 3, but I used to run hyperios defense batteries which were always twin linked and they barely got the job done.  Against av12, they were spotty.  The added immobilization for TKs will make up for that, so I'm just trying to maximize getting glances.

I'm waffling on the 3rd artillery spot with Kustom Mega Kannons.  I love that it is str8, but don't love that I have to burn a runt to prevent gets hot.  I'm also worried about scattering into my own guys.  I could save 60+ points and go with just kannons since they have the flexibility to be single shots, but losing ap2 is pretty big.

The ground presence is pretty decent with a squad of biker boyz joined by the warboss and painboy then running behind them 3 squads of boyz.  I'm starting to feel like 20 is the minimum for choppa boyz with a nob.

The artillery is certainly higher quality than what I was putting out in 6th with the increase in unit size and options, but I really miss my shoota boyz.  with 30 @180 points they were ultra reliable until they went below 10, then you just hid them on an objective.  Now they require a nob with bosspole.  Otherwise mob rule will cause them to fail too many morale checks.  Now we're talking 224 pts over 180.  Now they're too inefficient for the points.

With biker boyz being cheaper, I think they're better as a bodyguard unit to the warboss.  The boyz follow behind for a 2nd wave.  Plenty of dakka to pop vehicles and 2+ armor.  AV13/14 is still a problem, but with a nob in all the advancing squads at least I have more squads that can harm them.  Necrons are still scary.  The fliers aren't as a big of a concern, but high volume of shots (damn tesla), rear armor 11, and reanimation protocols makes for a very long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment