Monday, February 23, 2015

Grey Knight Conversion Progress

Grey Knight Conversion Progress

Grey Knights

I've made great progress with my Grey Knight Strike Squad conversions since January.  I actually played my first match with them last week and they performed surprisingly well.  I'm happy with the NSF detachment pushing multiple units right in the enemy's face turn 1.  The comms combined with inquisitors for accurate deep strikes thanks to servo-skulls, things came in reliably and right where I wanted them.  I may look into pushing even more units into reserve such as interceptors and I'm even consider *gasp* a strike squad again.  We'll see.

To recount my plan, I have 20 strikes and 10 purgators.  They would be converted to 10 purifiers, 10 interceptors, and a reconfigured, but mostly unchanged, squad of strikes.  In addition, I needed a squad of terminators and an HQ of some sorts.

Infantry


Terminators, Librarian, Inquisitor

I'm very happy with the progress I've made.  The Librarian and 5 GK Terminators are complete.  The Strikes and Purifiers are done as well, leaving only the interceptors remaining.  I have all the parts ready to go, I just need to paint them, though the backpacks are currently separate to make it easier.  I'm still a few magnetized single handed swords short if I don't want to run any halberds, but usually I'm ok.  I even managed to finish the Dreadknight swords.  Let's take a look

Grey Knight Librarian with combi-melta and falchions

The Librarian was converted from leftover bits from the Dreadknight and some leftover Terminator legs.  I went with dual falchions over the halberds (+1 Strength) or staff (adamantium will) because I felt it would be more useful overall.  The combi-melta is magnetized.  I still need a way to add/remove meltabombs, though realistically, I'm always going to take them.  I'm happy with how the model turned out.  The base isn't my favorite but it distinguishes him from the rest of the Terminator squad.

Grey Knight Terminators

The Terminators are quite boss. All the weapons are magneitzed for halberds, swords, or even a hammer or two.  The psycannon is magnetized as well so I can switch to psilencer.  I kept up with my daemon base theme with a nurgle-ish cesspool base.  The swords and halberds all continue the lightning theme I've settled on.

Grey Knight Strike Squad

Here is the Strike Squad.  The two incinerators came from the Purgation squad, but otherwise, the squad is pretty much the same.  There was very minimal touch up work done.

Grey Knight Purifiers

The Purifiers were overhauled the most.  The psycannons were removed and replaced with magnetized arms for hammer or sword.  The heads were popped off, stripped, and repainted with white.  I actually painted them a couple of times.  Any sort of wash I put on the heads looked horrible.  It took me a while before I was happy with the pure white heads, but now I really like them.  I did get vanguard vet hammers to use, although only a few are painted so far.  The one handed hammer look is great for them, very dynamic.  The swords were my first attempt at NFS and I've been pretty unhappy with them, so they were painted over and re-done in lightning.

Grey Knight Interceptors

The interceptors still need to be painted.  I want to run through a few tests with how to do the backpacks before I commit.  Most of the squad needs to be fully painted.  I'm still tweaking my list to see where they fit in.  They are essentially the same cost as a purifier squad but trade mobility and deployment options for the extra attack and psychic power.  The shunt with 2 interceptor is incredibly powerful for taking out backfield scorers.

Combat squad out of a SR for 4 WC and 2 shots at Cleansing Flame

Dreads

The Dreadknights are now fully done (well, I could maybe go for a psilencer) with the completion of the swords at long last.  I originally wanted to use an airbrush for the swords because I was skeptical it could work on a large scale.  I proved myself wrong and they really look outstanding.  I don't have any interest in adding a 3rd Dreadknight.  I can only take 2 in a Nemesis Strike Force detachment anyways, and 3 seems too spammy to me.  Full post coming on them.

I still have 1 Dreadnought left to paint, but I may end up selling him.  I also have 2 rhinos plus accessories to use them as razorbacks of all sorts, including the forgeworld psycannon variant.  They aren't finished, but look close enough.  In fact, I've never finished a Rhino based vehicle, too many clean lines.

Next Steps

Grey Knight Terminators, good value

I may eventually consider getting more Terminators.  So far, they seem to be a really solid value.   I've already regretted not having the option to add extras to my list already.  In an elite army, I often end up with an odd number of points like 40 or 60 that isn't enough to add a full unit, but I could add 1 or 2 terminators.  Instead I've been bulking of inquisition squads non-optimally.

I've settled on running them with 1 hammer and 1 psycannon per 5 dudes.  I also take the melta-bombs so they can threaten vehicles without having to cast hammerhand.   Little metal boxes still seem to give me trouble.  This works out to 200 pts for a 5 man squad, 395 for 10.


Army on the move

No comments:

Post a Comment