Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Blood Angel New Codex


I have withheld discussing my Blood Angels with the new codex because I was hoping that there would be a supplement that would make assault marines troops again, but alas nothing came.  I chose Blood Angels because I didn't want to run tactical marines.

Here's what I have for my BA army:
30 assault marines on foot 6x5 squads
40 jump pack marines, 4x10 squads
5 Sternguard
8 DC on foot
10 DC with magnetized Jump packs and bolters
22 Tacticals marines
5 Sniper Scouts
10 Devastators (5 missile, 5 Plasma Cannon)
5 Sanguinary Priests (1 in terminator armor) & Brother Corbulo
11 Terminators
5 Assault Terminators
1 Attack Bike
1 Drop Pod
36 Magnetized arms
ICs (Mephiston, Librarian, Chaplin, Terminator Captain)
Vehicles (5 Razorbacks/Rhinos,1 Furioso, 1 Baal, 3 Land Speeders, 2 Stormravens, 2 Predators, Vindicators, Scorpius)


I don't plan on doing a  unit by unit breakdown, only on what I think is relative.

Most of the formations/detachments are pretty weak.  Here are the ones I'll discuss:

Archangels Sanguine Wing - 2 squads of Vanguard vets, 1 of sternguard, and a stormraven.  You get 400pts of equipment for free with power weapons for each as well as free combis.  I like this, although it is quite expensive and restrictive.  The Sternguard have to be in the SR, rather than logically in a pod.  The VV have to deep strike.  Although they will reliably come in turn 2 because of the re-roll.  That's a lot of points off the board.

Fleshtearers Strike Force - Meh, not particularly exciting.  You only have to take 1 troop, which helps, but the warlord traits and relics are pretty poor.  My models aren't painted Fleshtearers.  It's a minor quibble, but feels cheesy.

Baal Strike Force -  Probably my default choice.  I never plan to take troops en masse, so getting old style furious charge is great.  I wish there was a decent formation that gave you descent of angels without relying on Dante.


So what are my options for list building:

 Tactical Marines 
I have 10 painted with magnetized  special weapons and for heavy I have a missile launcher and a plasma cannon.  I have another 10 primed and waiting to be painted (for 2 years) with I another plasma cannon and a multimelta (for reasons unknown).  I should switch this to lascannon and heavy flamer, although I have neither.  The ideal setup is to have them in a pod, but I only have 1 pod.


Scouts
Always a middling choice.  They do a lot of different things, but nothing well.  I guess some combat scouts with 2 weapons and furious charge could do something for cheap.  I only have 5 sniper scouts, which come in at a reasonable 60 points, but they don't really do anything either.

Unfortunately, the cost discounts I get in other areas are just shifted over because I have to take scouts or tactical marines that I don't want and don't fit into my lists.  They really feel like dead weight.


Assault Marines
I can only take 3 squads now.  There are two main configurations:
#1) 5 ASM in a pod with 2 meltaguns and 2 inferno pistols for a reasonable 135 points.  Drop pod turn 1 and blast a wyvern, Vindicator, Leman Russ, Imperial Knight, etc.
#2) 10 ASM with jump packs with 2 meltaguns, veteran sergeant with meltabombs and lightning claw for 220.  It's a 10 point discount over what they were last edition, but aren't troops.  With a Priest for 75pts more (same as last edition, but you are limited in number, but pick up an extra wound) they gain +1WS and Furious charge.  In a Baal Strike force they gain +1 init as well (old style FC).  They can definitely do some damage.

There is no reason to have 6 squads of 5 ASM on foot nor 4 squads of 10 jump packs.  How about 15 on foot and 30 with packs?  I'll follow up with my plan on them.

Death Company 
They are pretty sweet now.  For some reason, I felt a while back that 9 DC coming out of a pod  with a chaplain was the balls.  Since they couldn't charge on the first turn anyways, I decided that they might as well take advantage of relentless and have bolters.  Re-rolling to hit and wound meant they were going to overkill most things anyways so I should limit over watch damage by double-tapping on the way in. Those days are long gone.  I also didn't put any special weapons in the squad besides 1 fist.  Now I have 10 DC with bolters that desperately need bolt pistol/chainswprd as well as some power weapons.  Of the 18 I have, 14 are magnetized.

I think 1-2 squads of 10 are good.  I could do 1 squad of 20, but I generally dislike deathstars.  With the discount on jump packs, I feel like that's the way to go.   At 23 points you get 3 attacks base, with rage, furious charge, FNP, and fearless.  They also score now.  They can't take any invuln option or characters.

I don't like Lemartes, he seems weak for his points.  I'd rather take Astorath, who lets DC re-roll to hit and wound.  His warlord trait (adamantium will) is weak and he doesn't get FNP, but has an extra wound and artificer armor.


Librarian
I don't think I've ever taken a Blood Angel force without my trusty Librarian.  They got 35 points cheaper and with the 10pt discount to jump packs, comes in at a reasonable 80 points over the 125 I was paying.

I like divination or biomancy still, but the Sanguinary discipline is somewhat limiting.  Quickening is the primary, which only affects characters, so DC won't benefit.  It gives fleet, but the whole unit has to have it to work, so it won't come into play very often.  One use I see for this is as an ally to my GK.  I can cast it on a Dreadknight (+D3 I and A plus fleet sounds tasty).  The other powers are decent, but not spectacular.  Blood Boil and Wings are duds, especially at WC2.


Sanguinary Priest
In 6th, I really wanted a super priest as an HQ.  Either Corbulo or a beefed up generic (akin to the Reclusiarch).  I got them in HQ, but lost them in elites. Oh well.  The bubble is gone, but +1WS is nice as is the extra wound.

I'm leaning more toward the Librarian with Biomancy to attach to DC than a Priest.  The Priest would be better with VV or SG.  If they become a keeper of the relics, then I'll consider them more.

Sanguinary Guard
I think you can make an army of these work.  Squads of 10 are a big target and there are so many things that can wipe them out (Vindicators, Wraithknight, Riptides, Centurions) it seems like they still don't have a place.  This isn't a problem with SG , but expensive units in general like Terminators.

Vanguard Vets
Death Company are only 1 point more expensive, but you get FNP, relentless, fearless, and rage.  The Sanguine Wing could make them work, but I'm still iffy.  I do want to try it out.  The ability to take storm shields for 10pts is nice once you get to assault and can maybe tank you a few wounds from plasmaguns.  Maybe melta-bombs multi-assaulting a vehicle and a unit could be cool.  They seem like a unit that is a bit redundant.



Sternguard
Cheaper base, but more slightly more expensive once you add a combi weapon.  They belong in a pod which is why the sanguine wing limits their useability.  I still like them for their versatility though.

Land Speeders
Their weapons aren't twin-linked so they change to jinking really hurt them.  I can't seem myself taking them anymore.  They just don't justify their cost anymore compared to their survivability.

Rhino
Why can't overcharged engines be an option instead of a requirement.  Fast for Rhinos just isn't worth 10 points to me.  Maybe if you could still get out after moving 12", then sure.  I never took Rhinos before and don't plan to take them now.  Assault squads can take them for free instead of jump packs, but why would you do that.

Razorbacks
Once again GW is fixing an issue from 2010.  Razorback spam hasn't been a thing since 2012 when 6th dropped.  The hullpoints alone, much less the limits to assault and distance during disembarkation really killed it.  ASM can't take them and inexplicably DC can't take Rhinos.

For 20 points over the Rhino you lose transport capacity, repair, and the fire points but gain a TL Heavy Bolter.  The swap should be free, even then I probably wouldn't take a RB.  The TLAC and LasPlas are still decent, but I don't think you're going to see any tournament winning lists using them as a base.

Drop Pods
They can be taken as a standalone so have value as a GK ally to me.  I need more though.  I only bought 1 on a lark, but it is beautifully painted.  I should go up to 3 or 5.  I like the idea of 3 dropping turn 1 and the other 2 dropping later on with my obligatory tactical squads.


Relic Whirlwind Scorpius
Ok, nothing  changed because this isn't in the BA codex, but it's still a very solid unit.  The regular whirlwind just doesn't cut it.  Long range barrage with Str8 AP3 and 1+D3 shots if you don't move and AV12 on the sides.  This is very solid for 125 points and I plan on using it frequently.  Unfortunately this is an overcrowded slot.

Relic Sicaran
I don't actually have one, but I'm strongly considering picking one up.  You get 6 TL Str7 ap4 rending shots that ignore jink.  You can also take lascannons.  Unfortunately, BA can't take more than one relic without taking a useless chaplain.

Stormraven
Better, since less skyfire is around.  Stormstrike missiles aren't as good as our old AP1.  I don't think I have even remembered that concussive is a thing.  A lot of formations require them.  I have 2 and there are no other skyfire options in the codex that are worth a damn, so I'll probably take them most of the time.  I don't know what to put inside them most of the time though.  Skies of Fury is a punishing rule compared to what Necrons get in invasion beams.  I should really look into a Fire Raptor.  Moving them to Fast Attack would have been nice.


Fire Raptor
I rarely ever use the transport capacity, so it makes sense to take a pure gunship.  I really wish I could take the autocannon option like in the experimental rules or in IA XIII.  The Quad heavy bolter isn't an ideal anti-air gun, so it is a bit of a mixed bag in terms of anti-air, vehicle, and infantry.  You can shoot at 4 different targets though, which is really strong.  It's also a relic and in heavy support, so it's got competition.


Vindicator
I save 15 points over what it was before when taking overcharged engines and a dozer blade.  I could do 1 vindicator and a storm raven  or 2 and 1.  A 36" threat range is pretty solid.
 
Baal Predator
Did they accidentally leave off scout.  I'm at a complete loss as to why this costs 30 points over a base predator to change from an autocannon to an assault cannon.  I don't see this ever being used.  What a complete waste.

Predator
I still don't think they have much of a place even with a 15 point discount.  Triple-las is decent for 150 with overcharged engines, which lets me move 6 and fire two,


Devastators
Got cheaper as well.  I don't see ever taking the Heavy Bolters.  Flak is just too expensive.  If they were Str8, I could consider them but not at Str 7.  Plasma Cannons and Lascannons are probably going to be what I consider at 135 and 150pts respectively.  I loved running them in a bunker with a prescience librarian to twin link them, which was crucial for Plasma Cannons.  Now you can't cast inside a vehicle or building, which sucks. I'm not sure how much I'll use them.

Dante
I don't have Dante but I'm considering adding him. He has a great statline, eternal warrior, AP at init 6 and most importantly comes with Descent of Angels, Hit & run, and a free tactical objective.


Let's try to make a few lists.

1850 Baal Strike Force

105 Librarian with Angel's Wing, Veritas Vitae, melta bombs

115 5 Tactical marines, heavy flamer in a pod

115 5 Tactical marines, heavy flamer in a pod
285 10 Death Company: 1 Fist, 1 sword, 1 axe, jump packs
285 10 Death Company: 1 Fist, 1 sword, 1 axe, jump packs
140 5 ASM with 2 meltaguns, Sgt with 2 inferno pistols and melta bombs in a drop pod
140 5 ASM with 2 meltaguns, Sgt with 2 inferno pistols and melta bombs in a drop pod
140 5 ASM with 2 meltaguns, Sgt with 2 inferno pistols and melta bombs in a drop pod
200 Stormraven
200 Stormraven
125 Relic Scorpius

Since I don't have 5 pods, here's my short term plan:

1748 Baal Strike Force
125 Librarian with Angel's Wing, Veritas Vitae, ML2
90 5 Tactical marines with lascannons
90 5 Tactical marines with lascannons
108 8 Scouts with 7 sniper rifles, HB w/hellfire
285 10 Death Company: 1 Fist, 1 sword, 1 axe, jump packs
285 10 Death Company: 1 Fist, 1 sword, 1 axe, jump packs
140 5 ASM with 2 meltaguns, Sgt with 2 inferno pistols and melta bombs in a drop pod
200 Stormraven
200 Stormraven
125 Relic Scorpius
100 Imperial Bunker w/comms & void shield

I only need to get 3 scouts and 2 DC, which is reasonable.

1850 All Jump pack list, Baal Strike force
110 Librarian with JP, melta bombs, ML2
75 Priest w/JP and melta bombs
90 5 Tactical marines with lascannons
90 5 Tactical marines with lascannons
285 10 Death Company: 1 Fist, 1 sword, 1 axe, jump packs
270 10 Death Company: 1 Fist, 1 axe, jump packs
265 10 Vanguard Vets w/3 meltabombs, 3 storm shields, 2 power swords
220 10 ASM with JP, 2 meltaguns, veteran w\meltabombs and LC
220 10 ASM with JP, 2 meltaguns, veteran w\meltabombs and LC
220 10 ASM with JP, 2 meltaguns, veteran w\meltabombs and LC

Gee those tactical marines sure stand out.  72 Marines with almost half having FNP is pretty durable.  No anti-air, but it should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment