Friday, February 13, 2015

Blood Angel Conversions

Converting Existing Blood Angels

I have way too many Blood Angel infantry and vehicles. I'm not sure what I can do about the Rhinos/Razorbacks (maybe convert one or two to a vindicator or a Damocles).  Here's what need to be addressed:
8 DC on foot - 1 sword. 4 have magnetized backpacks, but no actual jump packs.
10 Death Company with JP - These have bolters, 1 has a fist.  JP are magnetized.
5 DC  bodies, tons of bits
60 Assault Marines on foot - 6 squads of 5 with sgt and melta gunner
40 Assault Marines with jump packs - 4 squads of 10 with sgt and 2 meltaguns


Death Company

Here's my end game -- 2 squads of 10 with jump packs, 1 Fist, 2 swords, and 1 axe each.  I can build 2 more DC with spare bits once I get some legs.  I'll put jump packs on all the models.  I need to break off the bolters for 8 of the jp guys.  I can keep 2 bolters for the guys with power fists.  Then for the guys missing arms, I'll need 2 axe/halberds and 3 more power sword. I have plenty of DC power swords unused, as well as a couple of GK halberds and tons of falchions.

Most of these aren't painted at all, so I can just reprime them with new arms.  Some of the others need a lot of touch up.  A few were purchased painted and need to be fixed.


Jump Pack Assault Marines

For painting: 10 are done really well, 10 decent enough, 10 are table-top, 10 are only primed.  Almost all were built from the death company box to begin with.

The primed ones aren't fully assembled.  Let's turn them into vanguard vets for the Sanguine Wing formation.  I'll need to break off all the arms and find weapons to use.  I should have plenty except for lightning claws, so I'll need to order some.  Overall, this should be a fairly straightforward conversion.

The 20 I have fully painted I will keep.  That just leaves the 10 that are tabletop ready.  These were initially purchased off of ebay as death company, then reprimed red, then painted poorly.  I had some real difficulty with the army painter red when I first started using it.  I also didn't strip them, so they look fuzzy. A few are old metal models.

I'm not sure what I can do with the final squad (pictured above).  I think the best bet may be to strip them and start over.  I don't see myself running 30 jump packs ASM any time soon, so this will likely be a very low priority.  I could convert them to a 2nd VV squad for the Sanguine Wing but I don't have enough weapons to cover both squads, so I'll need to order more anyways.  I could also ebay them.


Assault Marines on foot

Only two of the squads are fully painted and look decent.  The other 4 squads range from poor condition to really poor condition.  Ten of them were ebay purchases that I've never re-painted.  Another 10 are super fuzzy, but at least have matching shoulder pads for the whole unit.  All of these units have sergeants with magnetized arms.


My end result needs to be 3 squads of 5 with 2 meltaguns each.  The sergeants arms are magnetized so I can run dual infernus pistols if I want, although I'll need to paint some up.  Arms will need to be broken off to put more meltaguns.


For the third squad I will take the best of what's available to build 1 last squad of 5.  Even more arms will need to be broken off.  This squad will need to be painted from scratch.


That leaves 3 sergeants with magnetized arms and 12 assault marines.  These are pretty much junk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment