Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Blog Post Backlog, Tournament Result

I have developed quite the writing backlog offer the last two months. Between moving, work, and holidays not to mention the rapid fire codex releases I haven't had a chance to write at all. My most recent post was actually written over a month ago, but it took me forever to get pictures taken.

There are a lot of projects I have completed (or are nearing completion) that I want to write about.
  • Changes to terrain in 7th edition have prompted me to start building my own
  • My series on
  • Status update on Daemons
  • Pink horrors
  • Nurgle completion
  • Daemon tournament lists
  • Status update on Grey Knights conversions
  • Ork bike list ideas
  • Ork lootas, rokkits, tankbustas
  • Renegades army list
  • Chaos space marine ally lists
  • Alternate artillery models and scratch builds

With no shortage of topics, I should have plenty to write about. Taking pictures is a bit harder since my models are packed away for the most part.

Plus trying to find time to actually fit in some games is getting harder.  I was able to get in a tournament several weeks ago.  This was the first with my Daemons and I was worried I'd be outclassed by a lot of nastier lists (i.e. Necrons, Eldar, Imperial Knights, Skitarii, Thunderwolf cavs, etc).  I brought my usual Slaaneshi force (seekers, daemonettes, soul grinders) along with 2 large squads of pink horros and 2 Heralds of Tzeentch.  The summoning was terrific.  Between portalglyphs, double 6s from the warp storm, and maelfic daemonology I think I ended up with more models on the table than I started with in every game.  

I finally built terrain
I placed 2nd, going undefeated.  Unfortunately, an eldar list chaser won with a wraithknight and jetbike spam.  I got lucky and avoided eldar, imperial knights (none present), wraiths, and TWC. 

I did face a nasty Dark Eldar corpse thief list.  I couldn't do anything to it, but it was too slow to get much done.  The necron list was built around a destroyer cult designed to take down knights and MCs.  Whether Str10 AP1 or Str5 ap-, it's the same to a squad of daemonettes.  In both of these matches I benefited from cursed earth in each squad so I was usually rocking a 3++.  I struggled to kill any of the destroyers or ghost arks since my 6s were cold.  The last turn saw an amazing recovery where my seekers, who had multi-charged 2 destroyer squads, then got charged by a destroyer lord, finally, in the 4th round of combat, won and my opponent failed all 3 Ld9 tests then I swept all 3 (I7 vs. necrons will do that).

The final round was an anti-meta CSM zombie list with a few squads of melta-chosen and 2 heldrakes.  My list was a pretty hard counter to that.  I kept summoning more squads to the board to throw into the zombies and grind them down. Daemonettes are really good for that.  Plus Typhus failed a charge and a Soul Grinder promptly snipped him in half.  A couple of different rolls his way would have made a draw, but it ended up being a pretty big win, not to mention revenge for a loss to him last year against his centurion star.

Overall, I was happy with how I played.  Unfortunately, 2 of the matches only got to turn 3.  In the third, it would have just meant a more convincing victory, but in the first it would have been much closer.  The 2nd game went at least 4 turns, but that was pretty well decided.  I should work on moving faster though I can't say my opponents were all that fast either.

I didn't make any major rules mistakes or forget something like I have in the past.  In previous tournaments I've forgotten to deploy a unit to start the game, allowed my bikes to get swept because I forgot mob rule, didn't realize Zhadsnark had skilled rider, forgot warp storm, and forgotten fear tests.  Well, fortunately I didn't have any major haunting mistakes and was upbeat throughout.  I even remembered to throw blind grenades, although they did nothing.  The warpstorm wasn't as awful as it could have been and actually benefited me with an extra unit twice (I still can't recall ever rolling the +1 invuln, though I seem to roll -1 invuln every other match).  However, I still have yet to remember a fear test.  It only would have mattered in the 2nd game, but nevertheless, I would like to remember it.

The most important take away is that I need more variety.  Once I got off incursion (which I did in every match), I couldn't summon anything else because I don't have the models.  I'd like to get at least some screamers to take down armor so I don't have to rely on rolling sixes (touch of rust, rending).  Flamers of Tzeentch would be nice to drop in for firepower.  I'd also like a skull cannon for more Str8 plus it will help the grenade issue seekers have.  Vehicles continue to be my weakness, with explosions being particularly rough on the daemonettes.

Right now, I'm focused on building a Renegades army, completing the painting for my small factions GK, Inquisition, and assassins as well as all my Daemons.  Still no interest in my BA.  Orks are hanging around, but I need more bikes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment