Sunday, October 5, 2014

Status of Orks and My Hobby Focus

I started this blog with a focus on Orks when their new codex released.  The rapid fire pace of releases that followed included supplements, a campaign, multiple codexes, dataslates, and a plethora of formations.  It's been hard to keep up.  I also play against a space wolf player that loves to take thunderwolves and Dreadnoughts.  Both of which, I really have no answer for with my current Ork lists.

I haven't really gotten into the supplements and formations for Orks.  Mostly because I find them rather boring.  I could maybe see myself doing something with the Bossboyz.  Otherwise it is mostly a way to spam out expensive ($$$) units I don't have (Bullyboyz with Meganobz or Badrukk's Flashgits), units that aren't good (Da Vulcha Squad-stormboyz), or armies that are dull to play (green tide).

My Grey Knight army was gutted and I have yet to play a game with them.  I built a terminator librarian using spare parts so I have a post coming up about it.  I will eventually get a minimum terminator squad to run a nemesis strike detachment.  I feel like I can make something work with legion of the damned, Tempestus Scions, and a bunker with a vindicare assassin.  Everything deep strikes in.

My inquisition force has sat idle along with my GK.  I can at least still run my razorbacks with psybolt.  Coteaz needs to give objective secured.  I feel like GW really owes us an update for 7th.  I completed my ninja (death cult assassins) but have never played them.  I still like my jokaero and stormbolter acolytes.  I'm sure I'll find ways to use them again eventually.

Blood Angels should have a new codex coming soon.  I've started looking at lists using them again recently.  I would love to see fast engines be an option for BA rather than a requirement.  Unless it lets you get out after moving 12" it isn't very useful on Rhinos.  MSU BA in razorbacks can make a comeback, but whenever I make a list, I feel like I'm missing 1-2 units because of the point  cost difference from the space marine codex.  I've got a relic whirlwind scorpius that I really like to fill several holes in my lists (barrage, AP3).  Mostly BA are missing high rate of fire guns.  We've never lacked in quality, but anytime I was called upon to kill a lot of enemies (cultists, mass drop pod marines (inc Grey Hunter spam), or IG) I would run out of time.  Jump packs are massively overpriced on priests, death company, honor guard, ICs, vets, et al.  Red Thirst is practically useless, especially compared to chapter tactics.  If BA can get drop pods in fast attack, I'm prepared to run purifiers and re-ignite my BA-GK alliance.

I have a rather large IG force that I've never run.  This includes 50-70 troops, a valkyrie, a command squad that I never built, several HW squads that are completely unbuilt, 2 manticores, 2 hydras, a griffon, and 7 chimeras.  At least the Valkyrie and chimeras can be used with my inquisition force.  I've never used them as IG or AM.  Mostly because they're unpainted and I don't really like using a whole unpainted army.  They need a lot of work but don't really some like a whole lot of fun to play. I woudln't mind running an armored company, but don't have the models to do it.  Troops seem really boring to paint for them, so I just haven't touched them and they sit in a box untouched.

All of my old armies, including ones that have gotten updates are mostly underwhelming.  Eldar, Tau, Knights, and Space Marines are so much better than my above armies that I have a hard time pulling them out.  I feel like I really made some poor decisions with army selection.

Instead I've focused on my Slaanesh Daemon army, which has been a blast to paint.  So far, I've put up pictures of my completed Soul Grinder and Seekers.  I have Be'Lakor finished, but unbased so I haven't done a full post on him, but do have pictures throughout.  So far 60 of my 80 daemonettes are painted but only have one squad based (post coming soon).  I have some really great alternate Fiends that I want to do a post on, plus 2 daemon princes, a Keeper, more seekers, heralds, and another soul grinder.  Lots of Slaanesh death coming.

I will eventually branch out to some limited Tzeentch elements and have a squad of pink horrors finished and ready to paint. Slaanesh is fun, but I'm rather limited in my ability to open tanks.  I may end up taking some small squads of screamers as well.  Flamers look like fun to paint. I might as well get one of each herald, you never know when a psyker will get turned.  It doesn't hurt to have one of each squad just in case they get created or summoned.  We'll see.

As I learn the army I'll be posting more battle reports and tactics articles.  I have an article nearly finished about warlord traits.  I've done a lot of research into bases.  I spent hours looking for alternative models.  Should be a lot of fun.

I'd also really like to start building terrain.  The shop needs and it seems like something I could really get into.  One of my favorite things to do is scavenge for alternate bits, models, discounts, etc.  So the creative aspects of building terrain really pull at me.  It was one of the big aspects that pulled me into the hobby, but I just haven't explored yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment