Thursday, September 11, 2014

Daemons vs. Chaos Space Marines 1850

 I finally got my first match in with my Daemons.  It was against Chaos Space Marines and we were both using Be'Lakor.  Andrew was a great opponent and I had a lot of fun and hope that he did as well.  It went a little slowly as I was still getting used to the tables and warpstorm.


1850 Daemons
Be'Lakor
Herald, steed, loci of grace, greater
Herald, steed, greater
Herald (Warlord), loci of Beguilement, exalted (Grimoire)
Herald, exalted (Portalglyph)
18 seekers, heartseeker, standard w/lesser
20 Daemonettes, alluress
20 Daemonettes, alluress
10 Daemonettes
10 Daemonettes
Soul Grinder, MoS, Baleful Torrent
Soul Grinder, MoS, Baleful Torrent






1850 Chaos Space Marines
Be'Lakor (Warlord)
Abaddon
Chaos Terminators
10 Chaos Marines with ccw in Rhino
10 Chaos Marines with ccw in Rhino
5 Raptors, melta
5 Havocs, 3 lascannons, 1 missile
Land Raider










We rolled hammer and anvil and emperor's will.  I hid my objective as far up as I could in the ruin.  His was in the big plant on the left.  I got first turn and deployed everything on the front line while he deployed far back, fearing my speed.  The double rhino in the middle was a proxy for the Landraider and the DP was proxying for Be'Lakor.  He kept the raptors in reserve to deep strike.

Turn 1

 I moved everything up.  Tossed the Grimoire on the seekers, threw the portalglyph, and ran everything forward.  I failed invisibility, but got off  shrouding.  With fleet, I was able to roll very well on my run moves and was in his deployment zone first turn with the seekers.  I think they covered 23".  One squad stayed back near the objective.



On his turn, he hopped Abaddon and the Terminators out.  I think I lost 1-2 seekers from shooting and had the center soul grinder get immobolized from the lascannons havoks and land raider.

Abaddon and his squad charged through terrain.  I popped my Rapturous standard reducing Abaddon to WS5 and the terminators to WS2 (against WS5).  Abaddon in a challenge against a herald only caused 1 wound (thank you 3++) from 10 attacks.  The 57 attacks from the squad wipe the terminators out and cause a wound into the challenge.  Fearless Abaddon soils himself but is stuck in the challenge.


Turn 2

I continue to move up.  I still can't pop anyone out of the portalglyph since I don't have any daemonettes.  I try to Grimoire the seekers again but fail and instead are rolling 6++ for saves.  Invisibility fails again, but I get off fearless on the seekers just in case they lose against Abaddon so I don't get punked by daemonic instability.  The Soul Grinders shoot at Rhinos and cause a glance between them (damn BS3).   In assault Abaddon kills the herald and another 1 or 2 seekers but I kill Abaddon with just my rends and continue to press forward.

Dakka from bolters reduces the Seekers considerably.   The helldrake comes on and flames all but 2 from the squad of 10 that was bringing up the rear.  His invisible Be'Lakor charges a Soul Grinder and drops another two hull points with weapon destroyed results, leaving me with just the torrent which he would never get to use.

Turn 3

At this point I forgot to take pictures until the last turn because we were too involved in the match.

I move both squads of 20 deamonettes into charge range of his Be'Lakor to help out the Soul Grinder. I hop Be'Lakor over the daemonettes and attempt to charge into the LR.  My seekers move up to charge the CSM and havoks.  The Grimoire goes off on one daemonette squad and Be'Lakor finally gets invisibility off on the other.  I had deamonettes to use for the Portalglyph but forget to roll for it.  The Warp Storm brings Khorne's Wrath which does nothing.  The other Soul Grinder shoots at the helldrake causing a glance.

Both squads successfully charge Be'Lakor (thank you fleet) but he rolls well on his invulns and is still alive but destroys the Soul Grinder in return (thankfully no explosion). My Be'Lakor charges the Landraider and causes 3 pens immobilizing it and leaving it with only 1 lascannon.  My seekers charge was disastrous losing 3 to overwatch, then going at init 1 killed all but the heartseeker who died to instability.  Oh well, life of a daemon.

On Andrew's turn 3 he scorched half of the other daemonette squad with his drake.  His raptors still failed to come in.  The lascannons took some hull points off my soul grinder.  I managed to just barely finish off Be'Lakor in the assault phase and from there it was mostly clean up.

Turn 4
Be'Lakor swept in and wiped out the CSM squad while the big daemonette squad wiped out the havoks.  Warp storm brought Khorne's wrath again, but he was lazy and did nothing again.  I did finally get 4 daemonettes out of the portal and ran them back at my objective along with a herald.  One squad camped on the objective.  The soul grinder managed to shake the helldrake which failed his invuln and daemonic resilience roll and couldn't shoot next turn.


On his turn the raptors came in and killed a few of the portal squad.  His helldrake vector striked my Soul Grinder causing a HP of damage and a stun which I shook off.

Turn 5
Be'lakor finished the other CSM squad.  The daemonettes covered a lot of ground getting back to the Objective.  The Soul Grinder got 2 shots though and wrecked the Drake.

He multi charged and killed the two squads that popped out of the portal. but only had his vehicles left otherwise


Turn 6
I got another small squad of daemonettes from the portal and had several small squads of them around my objective that he wouldn't be able to remove in time plus one objective secure squad.  Since I also had all the secondaries we called it.

Mistakes
  1. Abaddon has a Mark of Slaanesh so shouldn't have been affected by the rapturous standard
  2. Forgot the warpstorm table a few times
  3. I forgot I could Grimoire his Be'Lakor to push more wounds through, which would have been a good idea rather than using it on my own squad
  4. Heralds are WS7, but I treated them like WS5,  so I should be hitting on 3+ against most things
  5. Forgot I had fear, so the havoks, raptors, and CSM should have testing.
  6. Soul Grinders are only WS3, so I should have been swinging at Be'Lakor needing 5s.  I didn't end up causing any wounds anyways.
  7. Need to be more disciplined about spreading out.  The Helldrake killed almost a full squad of 10 a turn
  8. Forgot about my lesser and greater gifts almost as soon as I rolled them, I need a better system or just take the etherblades.
  9. Need more Daemonettes so I can summon them.  I have 2 squads of 10 that need to be built and some Pink horrors just primed so I should be in decent shape going forward.
  10. The multi-charge was a disaster.  T3 5++ cannot stand up in a fight unless I can lay the hurt on them first with their high init.  I just got too greedy - I should have assaulted the CSM only or maybe a Rhino.
The Grimoire can be a big help but when it fails, really hurts the seekers.  They're toast at a 6++.  My only hope, if I fail the grimoire, is to cast invisibility on them if I want them alive.

I felt the squeeze on warp charge dice with this list.  I usually threw 4 at invisibility but it still wasn't very reliable.  I'll probably drop  the 2 squads of 10 daemonettes and take 2 squads of 11 pink horrors for 4 more dice.  They're mostly just sitting on backfield objectives anyways.  I could also summon more daemonettes, seekers, or another herald pending the actual model of course. Which they would need to babysit them.  I would need to come up with another 18 points though.  It's not pure Slaanesh then so I would need to consider how married I am to my theme.

I'm not sure how I feel about the portal glyph. Obviously, it would have been better if I had the models to pop out from the start.  They did really help me this game since I could bring in reinforcements, but only D6 is really low.  I think I'll have a follow up post on gifts for Slaanesh heralds in a follow up post.

I had a great time and really like running the daemons.  The gifts, warpstorm, psychic phase, and (minimal) shooting phase differences from my army really makes it feel different from any other army I've used and I like it.  I don't like moving 60-80 figures a turn, which is why I leave myself vulnerable to blasts and templates.  I just get lazy and my back starts to hurt.

Up next is our campaign and Andrew will by on my side for the next few weeks.  It ought to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment