Thursday, April 16, 2015

Painting Points Total for 2014-2015

Painting Points Total for 2014-2015

Ork army in Oct 2011

I can't remember which blog I read, but they gave me the idea to start tracking my painting progress and assigning scores.  I have spreadsheets for damn near everything else - movies, books, video games, comics, scrabble scores, won/loss record.  Although I wish I had started tracking earlier, today marks the start of my 2015-2016 year, so it's time to recap.

June 2011 - April 2012

My initial painting efforts were decent at the time.  I believe the first squad I finished was some deffkoptas, followed shortly by my Warboss, lootas, and a painboy.  I had exclusively Orks until Spring 2012 when I started Blood Angels.  Many of the models from this time period still hold up nicely such as my Battlewagons, Snikrot, Big Meks, and some early nobs.

First pass
"Completed"
Most of the time was spent painting boys to a 3 color minimum.  I only completed 1 squad of 18 boyz and they still remain as the only boyz I've finished.  Even though it was only to a minimum standard, 150+ models is a lot to plow through.  I learned a lot about brush control, drybrushing, and washes in that time.  Something I would never have had the opportunity to test out with a less forgiving army like space marines.  Orks can be sloppy and crude, but still look good.  It was also a fun army to convert.

April 2012 - April 2013

So much thick red primer
 As with my Orks, my Blood Angel army was mostly focused on getting them to a minimum to play in tournaments.  It's shocking how little I actually completed during this time.  I painted a lot through the summer, but the fall/winter saw a dearth of hobby progress with the birth of my daughter.  However, they stuff I did complete, mostly looks just as good alongside my current output.  I invested in better brushes, significantly increased my pool of available paints, and by early 2013 was focusing on details with multiple highlights and layering.
Librarian, still holds up well
Chaplain, first completed BA model


I still have yet to finish a single BA vehicle I started during this time.  Twice as many models are incomplete vs. actually done.  However, the models that are completed don't need to be revisited unlike some of my early Ork work.

April 2013 - April 2014

The first year of my official tracking yielded 424 points.  A rather arbitrary number overall, but useful in year to year comparisons.
Dreadknights

I completed the majority of my Inquisition army this year with 181.5 points coming from what is now GK/Inq/Assasins.  Another 145.5 from Blood Angels.  Most of the items were magnetized arms, although I did complete squads of assault marines, snipers, tacticals, devastators, and a drop pod (my lone completed BA vehicle).  The rest of the points were split between terrain features (bunker, defense line, etc) and random Orks.
Imperial Bunker

April 2014 - April 2015

My total for 2014/15 blew away the prior year with 729.5 points.  Around 3/4 of the points came from Daemons and completing half-finished models.  This is the nadir for BA, as I didn't complete a single model. 
Ork Bikers
By my count, 102.5 of the points were for Ork models that were more than half finished from the previous year.  this includes the Nob bikers and Kommandos.  Most of my focus was on completing units, rather than project hopping.  Still, several units are mostly done and should yield easy upcoming points including my interceptor squad which is about 40% finished, my warbikers (75% finished), Grukk (60%), and my Plague Drones (50%).

Slaanesh Daemon army

The bulk of my year was dedicated to Daemons.  An impressive 352.5 points for Slaanesh alone (including the Soul Grinders), with another 89.5 from Be'Lakor, Tzeentch, and Nurgle models.    the total for Daemons alone, 442, exceeds my 2013/14 output.  I was really excited to paint Slaanesh and don't foresee having this kind of enthusiasm in the upcoming year.


Conclusion

I anticipate that 2014 will remain the high water mark for some time to come.  Maybe after my 2nd (not yet conceived) child is in school (so 6+ years) and I get super excited about starting a Dark Eldar army or something similarly numerous or engaging.

Maybe this will finally be the year of terrain.  Ever since 2006, when 40k first caught my attention, the idea of scratch built terrain has intrigued me.  The ability to take nearly anything and turn it into functional battlefield terrain is currently beyond my grasp.  I've been so focused on models.

No comments:

Post a Comment